Monday, June 30, 2008

New job position and the writing it affects

Two weeks ago I started a new position at my employer's corporate offices as a computer operator--third shift computer operator, that is.

When I heard about the opportunity, I was hopeful. I love technology, and I have an amptitude for technology, so I wanted to move to that department. I've spent nearly 20 years in my current capacity, at the retail level, and it was time for a change. Then I was told it was a third shift job. UGH! It took me nearly 10 years to get off of third the last time I worked it. But it was a job in the corporate office which meant additional benefits.

Another concern was how it would affect my writing. I was worried that my writing time would evaporate altogether with having to deal with my kids during the day and trying to sleep before work. As it turns out, though, I have a significant amount of downtime while some jobs of the bigger jobs are running in the system. During that time, all I have to do (providing the paperwork is up date) is monitor the systems and make sure these jobs complete successfully. I estimate I have as much as two hours that are pretty well open with no one around to interrupt my train of thought So I've been bringing my laptop with me and making good use of that time. I've completed the edits on a WOTF story, and gotten 3000 words into a new short story about the first man to travel faster than light.

Except for getting a larger raise than I did, I don't think this could have worked out any better for my writing. Hell, what could be a better environment to write SF than a room full of computer servers with 1,000 miles of cable and 10,000 blinking LED's :)

No comments: